At last – my list is here. I’m sharing all of my favorite skincare products, old and new JUSTTTTT in time for the new year! Sidebar: This list took ENTIRELY too long to create – I’m sayin’ – what did I buy?!?!?!?
For real, thank you for your patience.
If you’ve been following me on Instagram (shameless plug @bloomchronicles) then you know, I am a certified product junkie. I’m fully aware that all of the many products and brands I’ve shared this year alone has probably made some of you say – “ohkay, that’s just wayyyy too many products.” I’m not even going to lie to you, I’ve even said it a time or two myself, like Cheryl you don’t even need this. SIKEEEEEE 😊
I promise there is a method to what I purchase though. And it’s only because I’ve nailed down a skincare routine that keeps my skin clear that I’m able to explore now. Plus, I know how to get my skin back in balance quickly – should it start acting crazy out of the blue like 2020. We’re not EVEN gonna go there, tf.
Nonetheless, many of you have sent me messages asking what I use and what I recommend so I decided to create a list of my favs and forevers for you. Let me know what you think in the comments, what you’ve tried and what you also threw away lol.
Actually, before I start, let me state a couple of my skincare non-negotiables for you that I live by:
- Thou shall have a morning (AM) and night (PM) routine
- Morning – cleanser, toner, facial oil (if staying at home, preferably one with Vitamin C) if going out or wearing make up – after toner, moisturizer that has an spf
- Night – double cleanse, toner, serum – one with a retinol for my 30+ peeps, eye cream, moisturizer
- AT LEAST 2-3x/week – exfoliate with a scrub
- AT LEAST 1x/week – mask
- AT LEAST 2x/month – treatment such as derma roll or microdermabrasion
- Thou shall understand that finding a good regimen comes with trial and error. I love make up and all but I care about my skin under it more
- Thou shall invest in skincare tools just as much as skincare products (e.g. derma rolling, microdermabrasion, nano needling, etc.) – in fact this IS the game changer in ensuring you get max benefits from those products
- Thou shall know your skin type (e.g. oily, combination, sensitive, etc.). Skincare is not one size fits all.
- Thou shall try samples before you buy full size, ALWAYS
- Thou shall accept your flaws and imperfections – they are a part of your beauty *queue the song – Beauty’s only skin deep, yeah yeah yeahhhh*
- Thou shall understand that the best skincare product is drinking a lot of water
- Thou shall understand a skincare routine has a basic template – make up removers, cleanser, toner, exfoliator, mask, serum, eye cream, spf, moisturizer
- Thou shall adjust your skincare routine based on how your skin looks and feels. Crucial.
- Thou shall be kind to your skin and do a full #selfcaresunday routine weekly
Bloom’s Skin Profile
- Oily/Blemish Prone – Can be Sensitive
- Main Concerns – Hyperpigmentation, Texture
- Gravity be trippin’ after age 35. WTH.
- My skincare products are balanced. I don’t overdo it on products that can dry my skin out and I believe in high and low price points. Splurge on what works. Go more affordable where you can.
PS-I added a Mood list too because I think that trying to keep your mood stress free and chill is an important part of skin care too. Stress can wreak havoc in your skin.
Ok. Let’s Go.
Make Up Removers
- Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes – Favs
- If Double Cleansing – Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Meltaway Cleansing Balm
*on my list to try: Then I met You Living Cleansing Balm
*a more affordable option is Boots Hot Cleansing Cloth Cleansing Balm
- Morning – Fresh Soy Face Cleanser or Philosophy Purity Cleanser – I use both but I find I purchase the Fresh Soy Cleanser more – Fav
- Night – Clinique Acne Solutions Foaming Cleanser – Staple, Fave
*a couple times a week I will wash with Ancient Cosmetics Even Skin Turmeric Face Wash for hyperpigmentation
- Witch Hazel – pretty much all I use
*on my list to try- Fresh Rose Toner
The Ordinary Glycolic Toner here and there for the price point it’s good and can serve as a night treatment as well.
Exfoliators (Can’t do without – Do.Not.Skip.EVER)
- Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash – I find that I purchase this more than anything else
- Volition Turmeric Brightening Polish
- Aztec Healing Clay + Apple Cider Vinegar – Go to. Staple.
- GlamGlow Super Mud Clearing Treatment
- Origins Clear Improvement
Moisturizers (Must, Must – Worth the SPLURGE)
- It Cosmetics Secret Sauce – Current FAVVVVV, If you catch a good Sephora sale you can get it for $35
- Estee Lauder Time Zone
- Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream
*Honorable Mention: Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream. I cannot use this everyday but it’s a nice treat.
Face Oils (Obsessed!) I usually rotate these with my moisturizers. Oils in the AM, Moisturizer in the PM.
- Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil – Best Every Day, Any Time if I have to pick just ONE- YIKES! I find that I purchase this the most.
- Korres Wild Rose Vitamin C Active Brightening Oil – Close second
- Kiehls Midnight Recovery Oil – A Must for Night Time if you want to give your skin a pick me up glow
- Unseen Sunscreen by Super Goop – love this, doubles as a primer too, win win although I really like many of their SPFs esp for us melanin baes, can’t be ashy 😑
Now this is where I spend ALL MY MONEY SMH. Keep Scrollin.
Night Treatments – I rotate them all but I recommend any one. You won’t lose. They are bomb dot com. If your skin is more sensitive I would say try the Peach & Lily though.
- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads
- Farmacy Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum
- Peach & Lily Glass Skin Refining Serum
- Clinique Even Better Clinical
*DIY Turmeric masks work well they’re just messy – Ancient Cosmetics has one that’s pre-made if you’d like to go a more natural route
*Splurge – Algenist Blue Algae Dark Spot Corrector Peel
Serums – Day or Night – Mostly Day
- TruSkin Hyaluronic Acid with Vitamins C & E
- Hyper Skin Vitamin C
- Cos De Baha Hyaluronic Acid
These are a must if nano needling or derma rolling!
*Splurge – Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum or Ole Henriksen Truth Serum
**SUPER SPLURGE BUT I DO BUY THE $25 Bottle Every Few Months: Algenist Liquid Collagen. This stuff is liquid GOLD *adds to cart*
**SUPER SUPER SPLURGE – Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair. So good!
*on my list – Volition Mushroom Water Serum – I tried a sample in a Sephora Favorites box and it was awesome!
- Clinique Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel – I’ve been using this for YEARS-It works – a good spot treat too
- The Ordinary Niacinamide
Eye Creams (Start using as early as possible. Early 20s – at minimum) (Worth the Splurge)
- Clinique All About Eyes
- Clinique Pep Start
* Splurge: Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair Eye
Lips – Don’t Forget Them
- Laniege Lip Sleeping Mask
- Glam Glow Lip Scrub
Before I move to my Body Care List. I have to say this. What I clean my face with is equally important too. I do not use wash cloths to clean my face – I use cotton pads from Target. No wash cloths. *yes I’m staring at you*
I also use a cleansing brush – the mini Foreo although to be honest, I think a manual facial brush that you can get on Amazon is just as effective and is a must have. Will link soon.
My new favorite product to dry my face is from The Clean Skin Club – their face cloths. It’s the thing I didn’t know I needed.
2020 Game Changers in my Skincare Line up: Banish Derma Stamp and my Dr. Pen for Nano Needling.
Honorable Mentions- is the Glo30 Glo Roll kit. First off, the packaging is cute! I just used this recently and I must say – WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. My skin stayed so hydrated for about 4 days, no lie. I will definitely repurchase. I also like their model of providing facials on the go. Everything you need in one bag. I’ll link my coupon code for 10% off.
- First Aid Beauty KP Bump Eraser Body Scrub – FAVVVVVVVVVV
- Sheamixology Body Butters – Any of Them!! – Current FAVVVV – W.A.S.
- Ancient Cosmetics Even Skin Tone Body Butter
- Ancient Cosmetics Stretch Mark Oil
My little tip – I add an oil to my body butters almost always. Ohhh, girrrrrrrrrrrrrlllll.
- Happy Girl Vag Mask – Bomb Bomb Bomb Dot Com
Keep it cute, that’s all I’m sayin’.
Hair – Hair Type – 4 A, Low Porosity
- Melanin Haircare African Black Soap Shampoo
- Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Shampoo
- Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner – I don’t usually co wash but if I do this is what I use
- Rizos Curls Deep Conditioner
- Nexxuss Humectress Intensely Hydrating Masque – I always grab a few packets from Target to have on hand
Honorable Mention: TPH by Taraji P Henson Honey Fresh, Make It Rain and After Dark Overnight Deep Conditioner. Just warning – these products are heavily fragranced to me.
- Camille Rose Natural’s Curl Love Moisture Milk – STAPLE Forever
- Kinky Curly Knot Today
- Mielle Organics Peony Leave In
- Melanin Haircare Multi-Use Pure Blend Oil – So good! Hey Naptural!
- Hollywood Hair Bar Growth Oil – Favvvvvvvv
- Grapeseed and Sweet Almond Oil – STAPLES FOREVER (Now Foods Brand)- sometimes I splurge on Jojoba but I just can’t pay $15+ for that little bottle sometimes – blah.
- Mielle Organics Mint Almond Oil – I usually only buy if on sale. Whoops.
*Splurge but so good: Bread Hair Oil – I likely will continue to repurchase and alternate with my Melanin Haircare Oil
**Splurge: Curl Smith Full Lengths Density Serum – if I’m doing a hair growth challenge or something – pairs well with the Hollywood Hair Bar for some serious growth and thickening.
- Xtreme Wetline Hair Gel – I did ditch the Eco Styler for this. I haven’t looked back.
- Pattern Beauty Strong Hold Gel – Caution – sometimes it does flake, sometimes it doesn’t – weird right? I just pray and hope for the best lol
- Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter – Forever fav
- Bamboo Leaf Extract – thank you to my Lorrainie for putting me ON. Great for Hair, Skin and Nails. On Amazon.
- Motivation App
- I Am App
- The Good Patch
- Aveda Stress Fix Oil
- Oprah – now y’all knew I was going to find a way to fit her in my post. C’mon. Hi Oprah! Call me.
Note: This list will be amended for edits and links to where I bought my products although if you do follow me on IG you know, MOST of my products come from the one and ONLY, S E P H O R A. I also purchase directly from the vendors’ IG pages. Ulta also just for Melanin Haircare products if I’m being impatient 😒
Last but not least. I call myself the queen of samps (short for samples) – I always start with getting samples of products I’ve been researching. Most of the products I’ve listed started off that way because one thing is for certain, skincare products are NOT CHEAP. And what works for me may not work for you. I’ve tried to only list products that are pretty universal and have shown great results fairly quickly. I’m very picky with my skin and I’m not getting paid to promote any of the products. All of them were purchased with my own money. Trust me, I saw the withdraws and questioned my judgment.
My favorite way to try new products is through Sephora Favorites boxes. I highly recommend them.
I am not a dermatologist – I’ve just seen MANY in my lifetime and like to think I’m a good unofficial “advisor.” Just call me your Bloom Coach. Everything in this post is recommended based on my experience. Please try any of the products mentioned in this post at your own discretion.
To all my 20 somethings – Develop a good routine now including a good eye cream and moisturizer.
To all my fellow 30 somethings (and up) – Biggest Investments are in collagen induction tools like derma rolling or microdermabrasion, hyaluronic acids and retinols/retinoids
For All – Water, Water, Water and get an AM and PM Routine that gives you a results. ASAP.
Um. I think that’s it.
Wishing you all glowing skin and prosperity in the New Year.
Hay, girl, hayyyy.
And to my Guys. You should also invest in a good routine. Women love a guy that takes care of himself. I’m tryin’ to help you out *wink wink* lol.